This is my Kifu sized Sierra Juniper(Juniperus occidentalis var. australis) that I showed in Oakland at the BIB exhibit. It was my first time ever showing a tree. Here's a short history since I've had it up until now. I hope to continue its progression in the future, Thanks for taking a look!
I collected this Juniper back in 2010 with a pretty solid amount of roots from the get go. This was also one of the easier trees I've ever collected. It took maybe 10-15 minutes to remove with a large mat of fine roots. Here's a pic from 2010 of my three favorite that I collected that year. The middle and right hand side are Sierra Juniper and the lower left is either Utah, California or a hybrid Utah/California. Lower left now belongs to my good buddy Greg McCleary and was also shown at BIB this year. The larger tree in the back is doing well and I hope to show it show it sometime down the road.
During the first re-potting, I bare rooted the front half of the root ball and replaced all the pumice with Clay King. The tree grew well so the following year I wired it for the first time. That's about as far down as I could bring the key branch because the pot was in the way. I think I have the correct years on the pictures below, but it's difficult to remember and I need to take better notes:)
The next year I was considering changing the angle to this image below. The tree was not actually re-potted into the pot below, the pot pictured below was placed in front for visualization purposes. You can also see the differences in color on the deadwood where we removed a small portion of the live vein that had died back.
After this you can see the tree's foliage filling in a bit more. The apex was kept long in order to increase strength in that area and is covered by a white cloth.
Here's the tree as of last weekend all cleaned up, with the angle changed back to my original plan. One of my best friends and cousin-Jarett Wright(www.jarettwright.com) took this great shot for me the night before the show. The tree still has a lot of room for development. Over time I hope to create a fuller, more compact image by replacing leggy branches and develop tighter and more refined pads.
Here it is with some different lighting in the yard of my new house.
Thanks for taking a look!