Here's a Shohin California Juniper I collected from the spot in the previous post. I feel it has some good character for such a small tree. I put several holes in the nursery can to try and get more air into the soil.
Here's a close up of some of the deadwood.
I've seen a couple different methods of dealing with the native soil on collected conifers and I'm not sure exactly what works best. I didn't bare root this tree at all, instead I combed the edges of the root ball out so the tips of the roots would stick out into the pumice. One thing I am certain of is that Junipers should never be completely bare rooted especially just after being collected. During the next re potting I will remove a section of the native soil and replace it. With a few of my more recently collected trees, I bare rooted about 30% of the native soil, replacing it with pumice. So far they looks good, but only time and more experimenting will tell me what works best.
Here's another close up of the dead wood.
Here's the tree like I first found it right before being collected. I always enjoy seeing pictures of collected trees before they were collected, hope you do to!